I almost made this post a “Not the Best Week Ever,” but the only reason I had for that was the fact that I lost bragging rights. Yes, the Canadian beat me in the brackets this year (by so skillfully picking chalk). I would like to take this opportunity to mention also that I beat him in NFL picks this past year, as well as last year’s NCAA brackets. Just sayin’….Anyway, on with your tourney highlights.
- Bob Huggins trying to bring back the mock turtleneck. I don’t know if anyone told you, Bob, but only Tiger Woods gets to wear those. No one else.
- The requisite Duke bow-out in round two. I always think there is a chance my dreams of Duke going out early could be thwarted, just by the sheer personality of Coach K. The performance they gave in round one however, assured me that this would not be the case this year.
- Western Kentucky outlasting Kentucky. Who would ever have thought? A UofL team that went to the Elite Eight, along with the Hilltoppers. The real highlight: this picture of Big Red
- Psycho T now losing his insanity? Now living in the triangle area of North Carolina (aka Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill), I have begun to dislike the in-your-face coverage of UNC and Duke (and not just because I am a partial to the Wolfpack). This came to a head when the local CBS affiliate refused to break from UNC’s drubbing of Arkansas to cover the Butler-Tennessee game (I think). So when UNC went out, I can’t say I didn’t mind. This being said, I maintain I was ecstatic when they beat UofL.
- Crean to Crimson. Marking a new quickness in coaches leaving just after they get knocked out of the tournament. Can Bill Self beat the record?!
- Memphis giving high school coaches across the nation another reason to make their kids practice free throws for hours on end. You have to make those! WTF was that?!
And, while not a highlight at all, the Big Blue Nation lost Mr. Wildcat, equipment manager Bill Keightley. I don’t think he was known much outside of Kentucky, but it won’t be the same looking at the UK bench and not seeing him there.
PS. Where is Ben Hansbrough going?!